Sunday, December 14, 2008

Always on Two Wheels




It's really about stepping out of your comfort zone and doing something to aid the environment, the community and yourself. As a bike shop owner, it's almost expected that I set a good example. For me however, it's really about the love of two wheels. Pictured are my two commute vehicles. There's nothing like being exposed to the elements, the sunshine, the rain, the sounds, and above all, the smells. It doesn't hurt that I minimize my carbon footprint in the process. The scooter on steroids (Vader) gets 60+ mpg and will do 100mph. With the windscreen and heated grips it's a fantastic commute alternative. I've been scootering for over four years now, the first three on a downsized classic Vespa without all the current accoutrement's. Similar to cycling, you have to try it, it's addicting. It now feels awkward to drive a car, which I have to do on occasion when I have a bike to transport or just to keep the car battery charged.



My other commute vehicle is a Specialized S-Works Tricross which doubles as my recreational ride for both road and off-road. What a Great bike, and I don't say that lightly. Due to time constaints, I only get to commute on it about twice a week, but that gets me 80 commute miles weekly. Not a record but a darn good average.



Let's not have short memories about $4.00/gallon gas prices, just because they are currently artificially low. They will be back and it is time we changed our lifestyle to do something good for Planet Earth and ourselves.